Monday 3 September 2007

Summer seems so long ago !


This time yesterday Stanley and myself were enjoying tapas on a cafe terrace near the Picasso museum in Barcelona. The sun was hot and we'd been trying to find somewhere shady to sit. Even I found myself burning at one point !

The previous day was spent lounging on the beach at Sitges in 30 + degree heat. I kept burning my feet when getting up to walk barefoot through the sand.

Today, given that we only arrived back in London in the early hours of the morning I was in a rush to get ready and out for work. Putting on the only clean blouse and cardigan I could find with my trousers seemed enough clothing to wear in this morning's sunshine. But it wasn't. The northerly wind definitely had a cooling effect. 16 degrees celsius was a bit of a shock to the system after our adventures in southern France and Spain.

So here I am sat at my desk (during lunch hour) getting back into the swing of work and the drudgery of London life ! The holiday had to end some time I suppose !

Anyway, before I forget, a brief run-down of where we went for our Trans-Pyrenean adventure :

Day 1 :
Pau to Laruns (via Oloron Ste Marie, Col de Marie-Blanque)

Day 2 :
Laruns to Luz St Sauveur (via col d'Aubisque, col du Soulour, Argeles Gazost)

Day 3 :
Luz St Sauveur to St Beat (via col du Tourmalet, col d'Aspin, Arreau, col du Peyresourde, Bagneres de Luchon)

Day 4 :
St Beat to Massat (via col de Mente, col du Portet d'Aspet, St Girons)

Day 5 :
Massat to Querigut (via col de Porte, Tarascon sur Ariege, Ax les Thermes, col de Pailheres)

Day 6 :
Querigut to St Cyprien (via col de Garavel, col de Jau, col de Ternere)

Day 7 :
St Cyprien Plage to Portbou (Spain) (via Coulliore, Port Vendres, Cerbere)
then train to Barcelona

650km cycling through the pyrenees, climbing lots of cols, while carrying 10kg of panniers on a slightly overgeared bike. I am glad I stuck with the challenge and hopefully am abit stronger for it, albeit with a slightly sore bum !

Day 8 : Sunbathing in Sitges
Day 9 : Basking in Barcelona

A great fun-packed holiday. More details and photos to follow (I promise).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi 2wheel-chick,

we've been in the Pyrenees ourselves this summer: the second time and its amazing this beautiful scenery! Maybe we've seen you, I think I remember you cycling up one of the many hills.
We went from Perpignan, Col de Jau and further up Tourmalet and Aubisque late August. Right on to Bilbao! I'm just collecting the many Photos to make a Dia-Show and I wanted get informations about Col de Ternere - the one you were cycling too, when I've seen your blog. So I just had to make a comment.
So best to you and keep on enjoying cycling!

Olaf Höhne
tinabog@yahoo.de