Sunday 28 February 2010

Soggy Sombre Sunday


I don't normally complain about the weather but I must admit that it has been getting on my nerves.

The cold and snow of January was a novelty, and at times even fun - especially the day that I went out with my club mates for a cyclo cross training ride at Mitcham Common.

February was a bit warmer, but it's just been a pretty soggy, wet affair. The last few Sundays I've been out riding my bike and there's been a certain amount of rain, drizzle and greyness.

Last week I made it to a really good training session at Hillingdon, but it wasn't without getting a massive soaking in the process. I wasn't going to let that dampen my spirits though.

The problem is the cold and damp doesn't do much for my immune system - it works overtime and eventually just conks out, then I get a cold or sore throat - like many people I know around.

So today, looking out the window and seeing the lashing rain arrive here from the Canary Islands and the Bay of Biscay put me off making the journey to Hillingdon. I have only just got over one cold. I didn't want to put myself through all that again. So, I let the weather get the better of the situation and I stayed home.

Later on, I was able to venture out for a walk around the park. It was all pretty squelchy underfoot, and the light did nothing to help my Seasonal Affective Disorder!

It was a soggy, sombre, Sunday - nothing like ending one of the wettest Februarys on record with a damp squibb!
Let's hope that March proves to be the antedote to all this drichness we've had for the last four weeks!

1 comment:

Lee's Workshop (Packratworkshop) said...

Don't feel too bad about it. We don't normally get snow in the middle of February either.. as a matter of fact we normally never get snow over here in North Carolina in the States! First time in about 10 years. I have to agree with you on the soggy to, I'm tired of my backyard squelching every time I take a step.